More than 50 professionals representing corporate, civic and non-profit organizations throughout Southeast Michigan, will come together, May 18, for Leadership Oakland’s Cornerstone “Day of Service” project. Members of this year’s Leadership Oakland class have raised more than $26,000 to build a playscape and chicken coop on the site of House of Providence’s foster home for boys, located in Holly, Michigan.
House of Providence was founded in 2012 by Jason and Maggie Dunn in response to Michigan’s foster care crisis. Every year, hundreds of adolescents age out of the foster care system in Michigan. Many will become homeless and/or victims of human trafficking. House of Providence provides hope for youth who are abused and neglected and are at risk of aging out of the foster care system. The organization provides resources like housing, education and emotional support. The goal is to help at-risk youth grow into independent and successful adults. Most importantly, they receive a system of support, perhaps for the first time ever.
“The child welfare system is in a crisis in Michigan,” Maggie Dunn said. “Between the already overwhelmed system and the opioid crisis, Michigan’s foster youth are running out of options. Our integrated system of care, which provides a holistic opportunity for healing, is working. By treating the whole child, we see them come to life before our eyes. It’s a privilege to witness the moment they realize they are so much more than their story.”
Roger Sovis, a current Leadership Oakland participant, added, “It’s an honor to work on this project. Every child that comes to House of Providence has experienced a traumatic past. Many have survived sexual abuse or human trafficking. House of Providence is filled with love and hope. 95 percent of the teens eventually heal and find a permanent home. We need more places like this.”
The following organizations are sponsoring this year’s “Day of Service” project:
• Northwestern Mutual – Premier Sponsor
• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan – Lead Sponsor
• Chief Financial Credit Union – Lead Sponsor
• Consumers Energy – Lead Sponsor
• Dobrusin – Lead Sponsor
• Mercedes-Benz Financial Services – Lead Sponsor
• Priority Health – Lead Sponsor
• Warner Norcross & Judd – Lead Sponsor
• Atwell, LLC – Supporting Sponsor
• Dickinson Wright – Supporting Sponsor
• EEI Global – Supporting Sponsor
• Innovative Ear Inc. – Supporting Sponsor
• The Kresge Foundation – Supporting Sponsor
• Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union – Supporting Sponsor
• Plante Moran – Supporting Sponsor
• Wilshire Benefits Group – Supporting Sponsor
• Alzheimer’s Association – Greater Michigan Chapter – Contributing Sponsor
• Community Housing Network – Contributing Sponsor
• Flagstar Bank – Contributing Sponsor
• Hollywood Supermarkets – Contributing Sponsor
• Oakland Community Health Network – Contributing Sponsor
To learn more about sponsorship opportunities or to make a donation, visit bit.ly/dayofservice-hop. To learn more about House of Providence, visit www.thehofp.org.
About Leadership Oakland
Leadership Oakland’s mission is to develop leadership skills, expose individuals to key issues impacting the region and enable participants to reach their full potential personally, professionally, and through public service to their communities.
Established in 1990, Leadership Oakland is a 501 (c)(3) organization focused on business and community leadership development. The organization provides a nine-month Cornerstone Program to participants from businesses, organizations and governmental agencies that are selected based on an application process. Leadership Oakland graduates are key business and community leaders serving as catalysts on boards of various organizations throughout the region.